From Pantaloons to Pool Noodles.
A place for everything.
I made 'Abbey' over a month ago but sometimes it takes a while for me to get around to posting things.
After looking through several fashion plates (and not having a ready-made pattern to use) I sketched out what I wanted the costume to look like. (Back view: it kind of looks like I drew a flap/fold over thing but it is actually meant to be the outline of the dress underneath as a reminder to myself for alignment.)
Very rough beginning. I flatlined the bodice and the front panel of the skirt. I eventually joined the two pieces at the waist seam.
Draping the velvet. (Back story... if any of you have read my "Faux Suede, Really?!" post on the Costume Page about an outfit I made 20 years ago, this is the salvaged blue velvet. Yay! Much more appropriate use!)
And here she is all finished. It's difficult to tell in the photo but there is' scrunching at the sleeve and up the torso. I have no doubt I will go back and tweak it, add some fancy trim (once I find exactly what I'm looking for), and maybe an art deco inspired sleeve on the other shoulder. But for now, I'm done and mostly happy with it. ;-)
I adore the Victorian era but I live in the 21st century. I strive for authenticity but not to the point of obsession (usually). Unless the TARDIS shows up, I'm only ever going to have to 'look' the part. Sometimes close enough really is good enough.