Bringing Alice in Wonderland to life for Jefferson Community Theatre's summer production.
These could be angel wings but they are specifically for the Gryphon. Made a specific size for the actor and his movements.
First, the wire frame. I bought 100 ft on a spool from Home Depot. Actually the gauge (about the strength of a coat hanger) ended up being too weak so I had to triple layer it. The paper is one-sided-sticky-back butcher paper. It doesn't stick to the plain side but sticks to the sticky side. I sandwiched the frame between two layers and cut out the base shape of the wing.
Then I cut out a bijillion feathers. I cut 3 different sizes (small size shown below). These were all made with the double layered butcher paper. (Why am I using double butcher paper for all of this? It was free! And it actually gave the paper a good strength when stuck together.) The photo below shows the small size.
A close up below shows the three sizes of feathers. The rough sketch on the right shows general placement. It changed as I applied each feather, so it's not exact. I glued each feather on with good ol' tacky glue. Nothing fancy. Each side of the wing is covered. The only single layer are the large feathers that hang below the paper base. I only glued down the center of each feather so the outer edges could curl and move.
And that's it, really. This is a super easy project. The longest part was cutting out the bijillion feathers. (Seriously! A Bijillion of them!!!) Wire, paper, scissors, glue. Done.
I adore the Victorian era but I live in the 21st century. I strive for authenticity but not to the point of obsession (usually). Unless the TARDIS shows up, I'm only ever going to have to 'look' the part. Sometimes close enough really is good enough.